Facts of Nelsan Ellis:
|Full Name:||Nelsan Ellis|
|Height:||5 feet 10 inches (1.78m)|
|Profession:||Actor and playwright|
|Sibling:||Eight (Alice Nellis, Babon Ellis, Lakeeia Thomson, Maurice Turne, Shaentika Beard, Tianna Thompson, Tommie Lee Thompson, Yvonne Ellis)|
|Father:||Tommie Lee Thompson|
Nelsan Ellis (1977–2017) was an American actor and playwright. Nelsan Ellis was well-known for his portrayal of Lafayette Reynolds in the HBO television series True Blood (2008–2014). He even appeared in Elementary before his death.
How old is Nelsan Ellis?
Nelsan Ellis was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois. His mother’s name was Jackie Ellis and his father’s name was Tommie Lee Thompson. He had eight siblings: Alice Nellis, Babon Ellis, Lakeeia Thomson, Maurice Turne, Shaentika Beard, Tianna Thompson, Tommie Lee Thompson, and Yvonne Ellis.
After his parents divorced, he and his siblings became state wards. In addition, following his parents’ divorce, Nelsan and his mother relocated to Alabama. Their maternal grandmother raised them all in Bessemer, Alabama. Ellis was a naturalized nationality of the United States of America of African ethnicity. His childhood was marked by extreme poverty.
Nelson died on July 8, 2017 in New York City, USA, at the age of 39. He died as a result of complications with heart failure.
Education of Nelsan Ellis
Ellis attended Jess Lanier High School for a year. He then attended McAdory High School. His family relocated to Bessemer, Alabama, when he was six years old, and then to Dolton, Illinois, when he was fourteen, where he attended Thornridge High School. He graduated in 1997 from this school in Dolton, Illinois. He enrolled at Illinois State University soon after leaving the United States Marine Corps.
At the age of 22, he enrolled at the Juilliard School, where he met Rutina Wesley, who would later work with him on the HBO series True Blood. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Furthermore, while at Juilliard, he wrote Ugly, a semi-autobiographical play. It was performed at the school and later won the Martin E. Segal Award from the Lincoln Center.
The play was about the devastation caused by domestic abuse. It was influenced by his real-life event in 2002, when his sister Alice’s husband shot her. In addition, Ellis had relocated from Alabama to New York to attend Juilliard’s prestigious acting program.
How much is the Net Worth of Nelsan Ellis?
Despite coming from a broken family, Ellis excelled in school. He won the Martin E. Segal Award for his semi-autobiographical play Ugly. Similarly, in 2008, he received a Satellite Award from the International Press Academy for best supporting actor in HBO’s True Blood as Lafayette Reynolds. In 2009, he was nominated for a Scream Award for Best Supporting Actor. In the same year, he received the Brink of Fame: Actor award from the NewNowNext Awards.
Meanwhile, he won the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for True Blood in 2011. True Blood also earned him the Ewwy Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
Nelsan has always wanted to be an actor. His main source of income was acting and playwriting. He had a net worth of about $3 million at the time of his death.
Who is the Wife of Nelsan Ellis?
Nelsan was a married man. There isn’t much information about his wife. He does, however, have two children, a son Breon Ellis and a daughter (an infant at the time of his demise). His daughter was still a newborn at the time of his death.
How Tall is Nelsan Ellis?
The talented actor was 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He was a gentle and humble man. May his soul rest in peace.
Is Nelsan Ellis Dead or Still Alive?
He had a net worth of about $3 million at the time of his death. The cause of death is thought to be an ongoing battle with drug and alcohol abuse. Alcohol withdrawal syndrome caused complications, and he died of heart failure in Woodhull Medical Center.
Career Line of Nelsan Ellis
- Ellis began his career in early 2000, with a role in a short film. In 2005, he starred in the television film Warm Springs. In the years that followed, he appeared in a number of guest and recurring roles.
- Nelsan Ellis made his breakthrough as Lafayette Reynolds in True Blood. The makers were most concerned with his character’s homosexuality.
- But Ellis made it look so easy. The show premiered on September 7, 2008, and ended on August 24, 2014. True Blood has seven seasons and eighty episodes.
- Nelsan also appeared in several feature films, including The Express: The Ernie Davis Story (2008), The Soloist (2009), and Secretariat (2010). (2010).
- In The Butler, Ellis plays Martin Luther King Jr. The Butler received mostly positive reviews from critics.
- From 2016 to 2017, Ellis starred as Shinwell Johnson in the TV series Elementary. He only lasted until the fifth season of Elementary. His final work appeared in True to the Game and Roxanne Roxanne. Both films were released following his death. He died at the age of 39.